Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Dog Losing Weight
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Dog Losing Weight

My year and a half old chihuahua mix is losing weight. About a year ago he was about 7 lbs and a couple ounces, and now he's about 6 lbs and 8 ounces. I noticed about a month and a half ago that his spine was protruding from his back, and started feeding him some bacon on a regular basis. He did not gain any weight from the "bacon" experiment. He would eat the bacon and his food. About three weeks ago, he went to stay with my mom temporarily. At this point he stopped eating his food, but would eat my mom's dog's food. And now, 3 weeks later-- he'll barely eat anything (including people food-- salami, bolognea), and when he does eat, he throws it up.

I took him to the vet a couple days ago, and apparently all of his tests (blood, heartworm, and fecal) all came back negative. The doctor gave him some wet food that he won't even entertain.

What could be wrong with my dog? Could he be depressed-- because he's living in a different environment? How do I get him to gain weight? What should I do?
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Chihuahua Mix
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
March 03, 2009