Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Dog and cat scratching but not constantly

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Hey guys I have a pug and a dsh cat both around 4 years old. About 2 months ago we found out our dog had fleas we counted up to 4 over the course of 3 days so we immediately gave him a flea bath (probably should have steered clear) and followed up by buying them frontline plus. They seem to be flealess since. Meaning I check often and haven't seen any flea dirt or actual fleas on either of them.

The problem im having now is they both seem to be scratching around their face area. Not a whole lot but maybe 4-5 times a day when im home with them. I've been checking for fleas or signs of flea dirt and see absolutely nothing. My vet said not to worry about it and it just may be allergies but I'd like to know if it could be more serious. I also dont notice any hair loss or anything.

By the way about 3 weeks after we got the frontline we moved into a new house and it seems like the scratching started around that time. Could this be an allergy cause by moving or by the flea shampoo? It was called adams plus I believe.

Oh yeah last sidenote all fecal and bloodtests came back negative from the vet Im just looking for your opinions is all
Type of Animal
:  
dog and cat
Age of Animal
:  
4 years
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
pug and dsh
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
August 03, 2012
City
:  
reading
State/Province
:  
Country
:  
United States
Blood Test Results
:  
negative
Excellent history and information, thank you.
I think you have handled this perfectly, your honourary vet degree is in the mail :)
I expect this is exactly what your vet is saying...a case of contact or air borne allergies, and not from the shampoo.
Speak to your veterinarian about omega fatty acids or other dietary supplements that can help reduce the itchiness. you may also want to steam clean the carpets in your new home, perhaps they have been shampooed with something irritating to your pet's fur.
any advice?