Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Dog died after being sedated for teeth cleaning
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Dog died after being sedated for teeth cleaning

A couple of weeks ago, I took my Chihuahua to the vet to be checked for a peeing problem.  She was given an antibiotic and sent home, after I was told that she needed her teeth cleaned and a couple of baby teeth extracted.  The vet also ran blood work to make sure she didn't have any problems.  Her bloodwork came back fine.  

Last week I took her back in to have her teeth cleaned.  I got a call from the vet saying that she had died after being given a sedative.  She hadn't even been given the gas to put her under, yet.  He said that her heart just stopped.  He also told me that in his experience, when this has happened, the dog has had an underlying heart condition.  I am just so sad and at a loss because I don't feel like I have any real explanation.  How do I know if she had a heart problem, or if she was given an overdose, or what????
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
< 2
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
Chihuahua
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
February 03, 2009