Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Dog is in distress

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Dog is in distress

Yesterday I took my 209lb. Newfoundland to the vet because he was very distressed and had vomited a bright yellow liquid.  He was panting and very restless.  They took blood tests, which all came back normal, and performed x-rays on his belly.  The result of the x-rays was that his stomach and intestines were enlarged.  They gave him barium overnight and x-rayed him again this morning and saw that his stomach looks much better and his intestines seem to be returning to normal.  The barium had already passed into his colon and when returning from the vet, I followed his instructions by giving him the medications prescribed [Sucralfate, Reglan, and Pepcid AC] along with a half meal of food.  He seemed better last night and this morning, but around the same time today (about 4 hours after feeding him) he has become distressed again.  I am at a loss for what to do as my vet is gone from the office until monday and my dog started presenting symptoms again.  He seems to be in pain.  He is panting heavily and cannot relax.

I do not know what has caused this but I came up with a few things that have changed that could or could not be related.  His food has NOT changed, he has been on Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream since he was 1.  He recently had a rabies shot at a shot clinic a few weeks ago.  There have been no environmental changes, but I did notice recently that he was eating dirt in the backyard, which is not uncommon for him, but maybe he ate something that had a toxin in it.  We do have a fountain in the backyard that is chlorinated.  I have never seen him drink out of it, but it is always possible.  Within the past few weeks we have substituted milkbones with raw baby carrots per the vets advice.  He is NOT on any medications (flea/tick,heartworm,etc)
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
3
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Newfoundland
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
May 05, 2012
City
:  
Moorpark
State/Province
:  
Country
:  
United States
Blood Test Results
:  
CBC w/ Diff (HM 5), Vet Scan General Profile, and CPL blood test taken yesterday and all were normal.
X-Ray Results
:  
Yesterdays xray showed inflamed stomach and large bowel loops.  He was given barium overnight and xrayed again today.  Todays showed the stomach and intestine swelling has gone down and the barium is in his colon, so no obstruction.
sorry for the delay, I hope everything has turned out ok. It sounds a little like a gastritis resulting in mild bloat. The bigger dogs are susceptible to this. In times like these repeat visits to the vet is necessary.