Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Dog is wobbly

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Dog is wobbly

My 3year old chihuahua started to wobble a little bit on Saturday. It is almost like she is drunk, stumble once in a while and walking a little sideways. No other symptoms, eating and drinking regularly.

Took her to the vet and they examined her but did not find anything. They took blood and when it came back they said it did not show anything unusual.

She is still very wobbly and still no diagnoses, what should I do next?
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
3
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
Chihuahua
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
August 27, 2012
City
:  
Carrolltown
State/Province
:  
Pa
Country
:  
United states
Blood Test Results
:  
Showed nothing
X-Ray Results
:  
No
While it is very unusual to occur in younger dogs, this sounds like a vestibular syndrome case. In these cases the patient develops inflammation in the inner ear (not due to an infection) and their sense of balance is affected. One of the signs that can be missed is that they will have a "resting nystagmus". This is where the dogs eyes twitched left and right when they are sitting still. I would spend a few minutes online looking for videos of this condition to compare but either way have your vet (or another vet) re-examine your dog.
Thank you! We had her re checked on Friday and the same vet does not think it is vestibular syndrome.

Her eyes are also cloudy now and she seems more fatigued. Very sad to see her this way.

. I feel like I need to visit a second vet.
Just wanted to give an update. She has a liver shunt. So right now we are feeding carbs and giving antibiotic, lactulose, and fiber daily. Thanks!!!!