Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Dog muscle weakness, struggling to walk
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Dog muscle weakness, struggling to walk

Hi, my 13-year-old Australian Shepherd/Border Collie mix is having extreme difficulty walking (he has even collapsed at least a couple times in the past week). When he is able to walk, he has extreme difficulty moving his hind legs. Over the past 24 hours, it has gotten a LOT worse. The vet thinks he has kidney problems, but would that really result in such a dramatic decline in ability to walk? Is there anything that can be done to improve his condition?

The vet placed him on a low protein diet but he doesn't eat much of it...so I basically decided that it's more important that he at least eats and fed him some raw ground beef.

Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Australian Shepherd/Border Collie
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
February 20, 2009
Related Discussions
234713_tn?1283530259
I would ask your vet if your dog really has a kidney disease and not just degenerative joint disease.  The newest information about kidney disease is to use a high quality protein diet, not a low protein diet.  

If your dog does have kidney disease try using the Chinese Herbal formula:
Rehmannia 8 (Jin Gui Shen Qi) , which is for kidney disease and hind limb weakness.  Probiotics and Sub-Cutaneous fluid therapy may also be helpful.

If there is degenerative joint disease you can try a Hindquarter Weakness formula: Bu Qi Zi Yin Tang.

There are many medications and treatments for degenerative joint disease in both Eastern and Western medicine, such as: Acupuncture, NSAIDS, Tramadol, Amantadine, Glucosamine and Chondroitin, Stem Cell therapy and more.

1 Comment
Blank
My dog has just started to struggle going up stairs in last couple of days took her to vet and they gave her a jag antbiotic and anti inflamerty and have taken blood said could be something to do with her liver im really worried shes only 8 and still very playfull
Blank
My dog has just started to struggle going up stairs in last couple of days took her to vet and they gave her a jag antbiotic and anti inflamerty and have taken blood said could be something to do with her liver im really worried shes only 8 and still very playfull
Blank
This Forum's Experts
234713_tn?1283530259
Aleda M Cheng, D.V.M., C.V.ABlank
American Animal Hospital
Randolph, NJ
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity