Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Dog muscle weakness, struggling to walk

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Dog muscle weakness, struggling to walk
Hi, my 13-year-old Australian Shepherd/Border Collie mix is having extreme difficulty walking (he has even collapsed at least a couple times in the past week). When he is able to walk, he has extreme difficulty moving his hind legs. Over the past 24 hours, it has gotten a LOT worse. The vet thinks he has kidney problems, but would that really result in such a dramatic decline in ability to walk? Is there anything that can be done to improve his condition?

The vet placed him on a low protein diet but he doesn't eat much of it...so I basically decided that it's more important that he at least eats and fed him some raw ground beef.

I would ask your vet if your dog really has a kidney disease and not just degenerative joint disease.  The newest information about kidney disease is to use a high quality protein diet, not a low protein diet.  

If your dog does have kidney disease try using the Chinese Herbal formula:
Rehmannia 8 (Jin Gui Shen Qi) , which is for kidney disease and hind limb weakness.  Probiotics and Sub-Cutaneous fluid therapy may also be helpful.

If there is degenerative joint disease you can try a Hindquarter Weakness formula: Bu Qi Zi Yin Tang.

There are many medications and treatments for degenerative joint disease in both Eastern and Western medicine, such as: Acupuncture, NSAIDS, Tramadol, Amantadine, Glucosamine and Chondroitin, Stem Cell therapy and more.

My dog has just started to struggle going up stairs in last couple of days took her to vet and they gave her a jag antbiotic and anti inflamerty and have taken blood said could be something to do with her liver im really worried shes only 8 and still very playfull