Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Dog paces all the time! Just want him to relax a little, before we all...

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Dog paces all the time! Just want him to relax a little, before we all go insane!

I have a German Shepard/Golden Retriever male that is almost 13 years old.  In July he had surgery for a twisted stomach/bloat.  We got him to the vet in less than an hour from his first symtoms (symptoms) and he had no problems with the surgery.  Well ever since the surgery he will not sleep (at night) longer that 2 hours.  I think he has dementia and will pace around the bedroom, sometimes getting stuck in the corner.  We try take him out and he sometimes cannot control his bladder or bowels very well, urinating or pooping as we head for the door.  Then the pacing will continue for quite awhile before we get him to lay down.  Now, during the day he will sleep a little longer, but will pace for hours.  I am home with him all day.  It is quite draining for anyone who watches him.  He will get stuck in corners, tries to turn "into" wall, or just seems out of it.  He is babied so much (we have to feed him with at spoon now almost like he forgot to eat) and we really don't leave him alone any more.  I think he is getting plenty of exercise, even though his back legs just don't work right.  The vet says he has narrowing of the spine.  We walk him hoping to wear him out.  He just doesn't seem the same (mentally) since his surgery and we are wore out from our sleepless nights.  He still seems happy and alert when you walk in the room with him.  Just want him and us to be able to relax a little.  Any ideas on what is wrong or what we can do?  Are there any drugs that can help relax him, even though he is so old?  Help!!!!  Thank you in advance for any help you can give us!  He is our baby and we will do just about anything to help this ole guy!  He is a sweetie!!!!
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
13 years old
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
German Shepard/ Golden Retriever
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
November 10, 2010
City
:  
Springfield
State/Province
:  
Illinois
Country
:  
US
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Melatonin is a natural amino acid, available over the counter and online that promotes brain health in dogs and induces normal canine sleep-wake cycles.

Deprinyl, a natural nutrient is available over the counter. Deprinyl is also available through veterinarians as a prescription, labelled as Anipryl.

Deprinyl combats canine dementia which vets call Canine Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome (CDS) and which mimics human Alzheimer's disease, quite effectively.

Dr Carol Osborne, DVM
Thank you so much for taking the time to read and offer suggestions on what to do with our dogs dementia and pacing.  I immediately went to the store and was able to find Melatonin, so he got his first dose this evening.  Keep your fingers crossed.  As for the Deprinyl, the store did not carry this.  So my mission tomorrow is to find it.  Will let you now how it all works out.  Thank you again, your help means so much to us sleep deprived pet owners.  Keep up the good work!