Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Dog w/ Chronic Ear Infection

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Dog w/ Chronic Ear Infection
My Dog is a 8&1/2 year old, 160lb English Mastiff. He has had a chronic ear condition, for more then a year, with lots of brown wax building up in his very large ears. He has redness in his ear (which might be from scratching or not) and pain when he shakes his head. We have tried many different things: mite treatments, general ear cleaner with drying powder, ear cleaner with bio-active enzymes, cleaner with 1% hydrocortisone and none have kept his ears clean for more then a week. He has recently gotten little bumps on his nose, and over his eyes which look like pimples, and scab over after a couple days. It hasnt spread from his nose/eyes but I dont know if this has to do with his ears or is somthing completely different. I really cant afford to keep takeing him to a vet because of his massive size and dont want to find another home for him. Please HELP
Chronic ear infections (otitis externa) can be caused by several different things however the most common reason is due to a food allergy. Food allergies result in changes in the skin micro-environment, the normal yeast and bacteria that live within a healthy canal grow out of control, and the swelling, itchiness, pain and redness result. Cleaning the ears twice a day can help but unfortunately you need to see your vet to get it cured.
The lesions on the nose and around the eyes don't sound related. Only a proper physical exam will tell us but it sound like an autoimmune disorder (i.e. pemphigous foliaceous).These conditions can be quite progressive so early intervention is key.
give your dog the purest food you can afford . Make sure it does not have any carcinogenic stuff or artificial colors . good luck