Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Dog with a lame leg
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Dog with a lame leg

i have an 11.5 yer old beagle shih tzu mixed male dog.  he weighs 22 lbs.  about 2 days ago we noticed that he would not put any weight on his left front leg.  to get around he is hopping on 3 legs!  this happened at about 1:00 in the afternoon.  he went for his normal morning walk.  came home and all was normal.  i was doing some work for about a 1/2 hour in another room and when I came out i noticed his 3 legged walking and not putting weight on his leg.  i examined his leg and paw and it felt normal and he seems to be in no pain.  his appetite is good and he still is jumping on furniture - though i am incouraging him not too...  earlier this afternoon i took him to the vet and they examined his leg by feeling it and moving it and said that it felt normal.  they were going to give him an x-ray when all of a sudden he started walking on it like normal while the vet was in the back room.  i called her back over and she seen he was walking normal so we decided to just see how he does and she gave him a script of rimadyl 25 mg twice per day. anyhow, almost immediately he was back to his 3 legged walking (not putting weight on his leg).  maybe he had some adrenaline going at the vet office because he gets terribly nervous when he goes there.  that is the only reason i can think of that he was suddenly "ok" for a few moments while there.  i read on the computer about "osteosarcoma" and am now really scared!  what do you think his odds are that he could have that?  would a simple sprain casue a dog to not put weight on a leg?  Any ideas on what could cause this?  he had never had any leg problems in his life.  
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
beagle - shih tzu mix - 22 lbs
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
September 15, 2010