Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Dog with missing hair on nose
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Dog with missing hair on nose

Hello! My dog minnie went to the vet a few days ago for diarreha, and I also mentioned to them that she had (what appeared to be) a scar on the top of her nose.  She tends to rough house a lot with our other dog and dig in the dirt sometimes, so it wasn't surprising.  The "scar" was just kind of like a rough lump on her nose.  It has since came off and there is hair missing.  It just doesn't look like a cut or anything like that to me anymore...I'm going to try to attach pictures.  Could it be something else or am I just paranoid?
[IMG]http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/JoelleKeller/CIMG1894.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/JoelleKeller/CIMG1895.jpg[/IMG]
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
German Shepherd
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
April 21, 2009
Related Discussions
234713_tn?1283530259
I have view the photos, they were very good, and your dog is beautiful.

If the hair loss is just secondary to a healing traumatic skin wound,  it may resolve on it's own.  Her hair should begin to regrow with in a week.  If it is itchy than she should be examined again ASAP because hair will not grow back with constant scratching.

Please have your vet perform a skin scraping, bacterial and fungal culture, and ringworm check on the hairless area  The possibilities include mites, such as demodex, a fungal or bacterial pyoderma (skin infection) due to an underlying abscess, trauma or foreign body (splinter, awn), yeast infection, skin allergy to a toy, other object, or something in the dirt, or auto-immune skin disease.

Blank
This Forum's Experts
234713_tn?1283530259
Aleda M Cheng, D.V.M., C.V.ABlank
American Animal Hospital
Randolph, NJ
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity