Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Dog with missing hair on nose

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Dog with missing hair on nose
Hello! My dog minnie went to the vet a few days ago for diarreha, and I also mentioned to them that she had (what appeared to be) a scar on the top of her nose.  She tends to rough house a lot with our other dog and dig in the dirt sometimes, so it wasn't surprising.  The "scar" was just kind of like a rough lump on her nose.  It has since came off and there is hair missing.  It just doesn't look like a cut or anything like that to me anymore...I'm going to try to attach pictures.  Could it be something else or am I just paranoid?
[IMG]http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/JoelleKeller/CIMG1894.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/JoelleKeller/CIMG1895.jpg[/IMG]
I have view the photos, they were very good, and your dog is beautiful.

If the hair loss is just secondary to a healing traumatic skin wound,  it may resolve on it's own.  Her hair should begin to regrow with in a week.  If it is itchy than she should be examined again ASAP because hair will not grow back with constant scratching.

Please have your vet perform a skin scraping, bacterial and fungal culture, and ringworm check on the hairless area  The possibilities include mites, such as demodex, a fungal or bacterial pyoderma (skin infection) due to an underlying abscess, trauma or foreign body (splinter, awn), yeast infection, skin allergy to a toy, other object, or something in the dirt, or auto-immune skin disease.