Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Dogs eyes & mucous discharge
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Dogs eyes & mucous discharge

Hello, my 3 year old 90 pound black male dog has recently been having running eyes with a mucous discharge.

He went to the vet about 2 weeks ago (at this time he didn't have the runny eyes) b/c he was constantly scratching (he doesn't have fleas as we give him advantix at least once a month), the vet prescribed him APO Cephalex 500 mg  &  APO Prednisone 5mg  for his scratching....The scratching is much better now, but he just has this discharge coming from his eyes, mostly his right eye....  I was wondering if you could give me information as to what this may be?

Thanks for your time
Type of Animal
:  
90 pound black lab
Age of Animal
:  
3 years
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Labrador Retriever
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
July 10, 2009
City
:  
Port Colborne
State/Province
:  
ON
Country
:  
Canada
Related Discussions
931674_tn?1283485296
The scratching is likely due to pollen/dust allergies, since it got so much better with prednisone and antibiotics; if he only needs prednisone occasionally, then treatment of allergic symptoms is fine, but if he needs prednisone often, then I would recommend talking to your veterinarian about referral to a veterinary dermatologist for allergy skin testing and desensitization injections, to identify and treat the cause of the itch and infection, rather than just treating symptoms with medications.
Pollen and dust allergies can also cause mild eye discharge; rinsing the eyes daily with sterile saline can help. However eye discharge can also mean there is an eye infection, an ulcer or injury to the cornea, a plugged tear duct, or a problem with tear production, so I would recommend that you recheck with your veterinarian to obtain an accurate diagnosis and treatment.
Kimberly Coyner, DVM
Diplomate, American Collge of Veterinary Dermatology
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...