Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Dry Left Eye post Horner's Syndrome

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Dry Left Eye post Horner's Syndrome

I was hoping to upload a photo so you could get a better idea.My dogs symptoms are brown sticky drainage from left eye that gets crusty.  I was told by Vet to use overnight Dry Eye lubricant.  The discharge has never been green or yellow so I don't think there is a secondary infection.  Right eye is perfect.  Dog is blinking from damaged eye.  I'm thinking his condition is due to residual affects from his horner's and he has not completely returned to normal.  I do have an appointment april 6th but would prefer just treating him at home if I could.  the lubricant definately increases the discharge but even without the lubricant he has the drainage.  I use a hot compress as much as possible to clean away the built up because I'm aware that the skin could develop a sore.  I treat it as if it is very sensitive.  
Should I get a dry eye test?
Is it possible the cause of the Dry Eye is related to his Horner's?
And possible due to a lack of motor function that never completely got restored.
How would I know if he has an infection in the eye?  what color would the discharge be?
Should he be tested for other causes of his horners even though his symptoms are 90% gone?
Will he most likely always have dry eye?
I tried the drops but they burned his eye so I dc'ed.
Thank You in advance for your help,
Sincerely,
I've owned him for about 6 years and I love him so much.  He's getting older now and I lift him up sometimes because his hips hurt.
Type of Animal
:  
Canine
Age of Animal
:  
11+ months
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
sheltie/boarder collie
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
June 26, 2009
City
:  
Butler
State/Province
:  
Country
:  
USA
Blood Test Results
:  
Dr. took panel to look for thyroid problem or anything to do with abnormal blood work in relation to a cause of the horner's, the test was negative.  Date of test same as date of appointment.
X-Ray Results
:  
None done
Other pertinent test results
:  
Ear tested positive for yeast, was treated with drops.  His L side facial paralysis symptoms resolved (to 90% in about maybe 2 months?) and dog was able to blink again in L eye.  there are still some residual symptoms in his jaw after a long walk.  I would say he is at least 90% better.  Therefore, his Vet concluded his horner's was due to his ear infection.
Animal has history of seizures but with the exception of two seizures Sept. 20th, 2009 and March 15th, 2010 he did not have them for 2 1/2 years.  The last two were very minor.  I have only documented a total of 7 seizures before this time and keep accurate records from May 2004 to present, therefore, he was never treated pharmacutically.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Sorry we don't have an ophthalmologist in our group.  I would guess that the discharge you are seeing is related to the dry eye syndrome.  Most likely caused by some of the shrunken eye that occurs with Horner's.  and as you say without a purulent discharge is it most likely not an infection.  I would also believe eye lubricant is the best with careful observation so an infection does not occur.  perhaps over time the nerve deficit will completely heal and he will not show these signs.  If he has healed that much in 2 months then seems optimistic to me that he will continue to heal and have normal eye lubrication / drainage and not appear so abnormal.  Only time will tell on that.  
PLEASE HELP, DO I HAVE TO PAY FIRST?? WILL SOMEONE LET ME KNOW PLEASE?
Your Comments are very Helpful.  I'm grateful for your help and feel optimistic about his prognosis.  Excellent thourough answer.