Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Dry skin
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Dry skin

I have a beagle and a Redbone coonhound that both have really flaky dry skin all the time.  I know it's not from to many baths since I try not to bathe them unless they are in really need of it.  I've heard that is't bad to wash their own oils away all the time.  But I was wondering if there is something I can do to help I don't think it itches they don't scratch lets put it that way.
Related Discussions
234713_tn?1283530259
Add a good Omega 3 (EPA and DHA) supplement to their diets.  The best source is one is a fish oil supplement in which the mercury has been distilled out.  Ask your local health food or whole food store for a good one.  These are human supplements.  The beagle would need 1000 to 2000 mg. per day.  The Coonhound woud need 3000 mg.  Start slowly adding these to the diet and work up to the higher dose to avoid digestive problems.

Another product you could try is Shed Stop if you can find it.  It is also a fatty acid supplemant.
Blank
This Forum's Experts
234713_tn?1283530259
Aleda M Cheng, D.V.M., C.V.ABlank
American Animal Hospital
Randolph, NJ
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity