Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Ear Infection

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Ear Infection

Hello I was just wondering if there are any options left for our pet dog.

We have a Welsh Corgi who was diagnosed with an ear infection, he was put on medication but the infection just won't clear up, eventually it was deemed necessary to perform surgery.

Unfortunately after some tests the veterinarian concluded that this would be impossible due to the dog's age and low platelet count.

While the dog does not appear to be in pain he does seem irritated by the constant itch. The ear smells really bad if left unchecked and the dog gets harassed by flies if uncleaned, thus requiring regular attention. It's been a couple of years now and while we have been managing the infection with regular cleaning and medication it is starting to become quite burdensome to maintain.

We don't really want to put him to sleep but are there any other alternatives? or is this the end of the line.
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
12
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Welsh Corgi
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
May 20, 2012
This used to be extremely common in dogs; them needing surgeries to correct chronic ear infections. I have not seen one of these in years. Witht hat being said I do know there is a non-surgical option that has worked. It is a deep injection into the swollen tissue of a cortisone like medication that over time opens up the canal. It is very difficult though for me to say if it will work or not as ear infections can be very unique to each pet. Has your vet tried systemic corticosteriods? I would ask them. Regarding the injection, the name escapes me. Your vet would be able to ask a referral centre close by and maybe they can be of more help.