Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Ear flap has water blisters

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Ear flap has water blisters

Both of my dogs ear flaps are swollen but they have a number of clear fluid filled bubbles on them, much like a water or fever blisters. I gave him benadryl thinking it was an allergic reaction to a pet odor product that I applied to the carpeting. Today, the blisters are much more visible and are oozing but it doesn't seem to be bothering him much. Is it just an allergic reaction or is it something else? Do you have any idea what this could be?

Thanks,
Kim
It does sound like it could be an allergic reaction.  It could also be a reaction to poison ivy, poison oak, nettles, fly strike,  or some other allergen or infectious agent.  Staph infections of the ear can sometimes cause a similar reaction, or if your dog has an itchy or painful yeast or bacterial infection inside the ear and he flaps his head, he could break the small capillaries in the flaps and cause the flap to swell.  This is called an aural hematoma.  If the benadryl is ineffective please take your dog to your vet for appropriate diagnostics and treatment.  Aural hematoma's usually have to be drained by your veterinarian, and require antibiotics and steroids by mouth and in the ear to heal properly.