Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Ear flap has water blisters
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Ear flap has water blisters

Both of my dogs ear flaps are swollen but they have a number of clear fluid filled bubbles on them, much like a water or fever blisters. I gave him benadryl thinking it was an allergic reaction to a pet odor product that I applied to the carpeting. Today, the blisters are much more visible and are oozing but it doesn't seem to be bothering him much. Is it just an allergic reaction or is it something else? Do you have any idea what this could be?

Thanks,
Kim
Related Discussions
234713_tn?1283530259
It does sound like it could be an allergic reaction.  It could also be a reaction to poison ivy, poison oak, nettles, fly strike,  or some other allergen or infectious agent.  Staph infections of the ear can sometimes cause a similar reaction, or if your dog has an itchy or painful yeast or bacterial infection inside the ear and he flaps his head, he could break the small capillaries in the flaps and cause the flap to swell.  This is called an aural hematoma.  If the benadryl is ineffective please take your dog to your vet for appropriate diagnostics and treatment.  Aural hematoma's usually have to be drained by your veterinarian, and require antibiotics and steroids by mouth and in the ear to heal properly.
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
242532_tn?1269553979