Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Elevated ALP

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Elevated ALP

Wth the above information, and ruling out Cushing Disease, could my dog have some type of cancer.

I found information that an elevated ALP with no other symtoms (symptoms), could be canine osteocarsoma, Bile duct carcinoma or pancreatic cancer or lymphoma.
Any thoughts on this?
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
13
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
Dashound
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
September 29, 2010
City
:  
Montgomery
State/Province
:  
Alabama
Country
:  
USA
Blood Test Results
:  
CBC was done on 9/2010.  All the blood levels are withing normal limits except the ALP.  They are signifiantly higher.
Her ALP is off the charts, my Vet indicates.
X-Ray Results
:  
stone s in bladder, kidneys, enlarger pancreas, and sludge in the gall bladder
Other pertinent test results
:  
Negative for Cushings Disease, exsessive water drinking and urination, no vomiting, lethargic, slow response in the hind legs, responds to pin ***** in the back, seems to have lesser muscle tone in the hind legs.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
This does not sound like a usual presentation for cancer, lymphoma or osteosarcoma to me.

If you are able to post your dogs complete blood (CBC and Complete Chemistry Profile run at the lab and urinalysis results including the urine specific gravity, I would be glad to offer specific thoughts and options to help resolve this for you.

If you dog has bladder stones that would likely be the issue to deal with. Bladder stones often lead to kidney issues which then leads to excess water consumptions and excessive urination. Compromised kidney function makes pets feel poorly as toxins accumulate in their body and lethargy would be expected.

Elevated and/or reduced blood values can have varying levels of significance depending on where and how the blood was run and handled which would be revealed on blood run at a laboratory.

Prior to any major treatment, for example surgery, ultrasound and endoscopy are both non invasive procedures that help to pinpoint exact health problems and can provide an exact diagnosis in most cases.

I am glad to discuss further, feel feel free to contact our veterinary office.

Best Wishes,
Dr Carol Osborne, DVM