Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Elevated liver test results

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Elevated liver test results

My cat was diagnosed with a thyroid problem 2 months ago and put on medicaction to supress it's overactivity. In his recent lab work his liver enzymes are all elevated.  The vet wants to do an ultrasound to see if it's a tumor.  My cat is 15 years old and, while I would do everything I could for him, the vet bills are becoming very expensive. (We also have 3 other cats and a Mastiff dog) Should I try just regulating his diet? Could the elevated enzymes be from the thyroid medicine? If it is a tumor, what next.
Type of Animal
:  
Cat
Age of Animal
:  
15
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Medium hair, gray domestic
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
October 07, 2010
City
:  
Waterford
State/Province
:  
CT
Country
:  
US
Blood Test Results
:  
ALP = 67
ALT = 400
AFT = 118
Other pertinent test results
:  
He is currently taking PTU for his thyroid. Those levels the vet said were fine and Emmitt did gain a pound in the last month.
If the elevated liver enzymes only occurred after beginning the PTU than it could be related to the PTU.  PTU can occasionally elevate liver enzymes, though this side effect is not common.  Tapazole can be used in place of the PTU.

If the liver enzymes are unrelated to PTU use and you cannot have the abdominal ultrasound performed,  than the following over the counter products may help to lower liver enzymes:   Milk Thistle, Sam-E,  Alpha Lipoic acid and Omega 3 fatty acids.  You should check with your veterinarian for a definitive dose but generally the dose for a small cat is approximately 1/8 of a human dose, twice daily.  Many of these products come in pet form also.  Your vet may have them in stock.

Hills Science diet has a prescription diet for liver disease called feline L/D, which would be valuable for your cat.  Please use canned L/D only.