Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Euthanasia

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Euthanasia

I am having a terrible time with my dog's recent euthanasia.  It was extremely traumatic for me - I wouldn't change being there for the world though.  For some reason, I cannot fully believe that he was completely passed away before the funeral home took him.  My vet (who I do love and trust) came to my house to do this and at the time I never questioned if he was passed ... but for some reason now I keep wishing I would've stayed with my boy until his body started to change so I would know for sure.  

I guess my ultimate question is:  are there ever situtations where 1 syrienge of euthanasia solution is not enough to make the animal pass?  I know there are times when more than 1 syrienge in used to speed up the process, but I am wondering if he would have passed eventually no matter what.  He was given Domitor first as a sedative.
I am sorry sorry for your loss and for the sad adjustment period you are going through!

Syringes come in all sizes from less than one ml (milliliter) to 50 mls or more.  Euthanasia solution is usually given at a dose of one ml per 10 lbs.  If the solution is not given entirely into a vein it will take longer for the solution to take effect, but it will eventually.  Sometimes more than one syringe is given because some of the solution misses the vein and the vet will administer more into the vein to speed a sad situation up a bit.  If the solution is given extravascularly (outside the vein) it could take up to an hour to take effect.
bless your heart am sure your vet that you love and trust made sure he was gone. did you hold him while it happen. am not sure about two shots i know that when i had to put my baby to rest it took just the one shot and it happen fast and peacefull, plz dont stress over this let your mind be at peace in knowing you did the right thing, he loves you even more for loving him so much that he did not have to keep suffering. hugs Barbara
Would it be safe to assume that if he was given Domitor first, that would lend to an even better chance that the usual dosage of 1 shot would be enough?  It just logically seems like a dog surviving Domitor followed by an overdose of anesthesia (which is what I understand the euthanasia solution to be) would be very unlikely.  Would you agree?
I believe the euthanasia solution also contains potassium, which stops the heart almost instantly.  I could be wrong, but that's what I have been told.

My heart goes out to you.  Its so hard to lose a loved pet.  I've had to be with a few while they died, and it broke my heart every time.

I'm sure your vet did things properly, and your dog passed away from the euthanasia solution.