Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Feline Scabies
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Feline Scabies

This past week I was given the duty of caring for three 4-5 month old abandoned stray kittens by my boss. When I took them to the vet, I found out that amongst the obvious (with the crusty skin, ears, bloated bellies, missing hair, etc.) they have scabies. I used gloves to handle them and did my best not to put them next to me, but it didn't save me. I have the telling red bumps all over my stomach and chest area that itch like crazy. I know this is the feline scabies.

I've read all over the internet that this is a temporary condition because animal scabies and human scabies are different and one cannot survive on the other. Also, I've read that there is no treatment needed for feline scabies on a human, mainly for that reason.

I want to confirm that this is indeed the truth and that I shouldn't go running to my doctor just yet.

Needless to say, I'm no longer caring for these kittens since I quit my job yesterday. (Not because of this.) Please help! I'm hoping you can ease my mind.
Type of Animal
:  
Abandoned, Stray Kittens
Age of Animal
:  
4-5 months
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
Mixed Domestics
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
October 19, 2010
City
:  
Pinellas Park
State/Province
:  
Florida
Country
:  
USA
Blood Test Results