Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Feline Scabies

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Feline Scabies
This past week I was given the duty of caring for three 4-5 month old abandoned stray kittens by my boss. When I took them to the vet, I found out that amongst the obvious (with the crusty skin, ears, bloated bellies, missing hair, etc.) they have scabies. I used gloves to handle them and did my best not to put them next to me, but it didn't save me. I have the telling red bumps all over my stomach and chest area that itch like crazy. I know this is the feline scabies.

I've read all over the internet that this is a temporary condition because animal scabies and human scabies are different and one cannot survive on the other. Also, I've read that there is no treatment needed for feline scabies on a human, mainly for that reason.

I want to confirm that this is indeed the truth and that I shouldn't go running to my doctor just yet.

Needless to say, I'm no longer caring for these kittens since I quit my job yesterday. (Not because of this.) Please help! I'm hoping you can ease my mind.
Hello!

Humans are aberrant hosts for notodectes (feline scabies).  This means that the notodectes may try to parasitize a human temporarily,  but will quickly reject the human.  

Since I cannot help you further since I am a veterinarian  I am glad that you have also posted your question to the dermatology forum.  I am sure that a human dermatologist will answer your question soon.
Thank you so much! You confirmed what I've been reading on the internet and that means more to me than anything!