Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Female dog and Male Cat

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Female dog and Male Cat

I have a female tenterfield terrior (mini foxie)And  was just wondering why she is always trying to mate with my male cat??? The cat has been desexed but she hasn't and i thought it was cause she was on heat but usually this behaviour stops a week after she has been on heat which was about 2 months ago and still she is trying to mount my cat why would she be doing this and if i get her desexed will this behaviour stop??

thanks
This can be an annoying problem!

Unless you are interested in breeding your dog, desexing her is probably a good idea; especially since the mounting behaviour was originally related to her estrus (heat) cycle.   Desexing will most likely eliminate this problem, but there is no way to know for sure. Once she is desexed it will take several weeks or longer for her sexual hormones to drop low enough to make a difference.  

The main problem is that your dog may be masturbating, or, alternatively this may be a behaviour issue, or a combination of both.  She may just want to show dominance over your cat.  If your cat allows this behaviour and does not fight back, or run away, it perpetuates the problem.  If the problem is predominately a dominance issue you may have to institute some behavioral modification even if she is desexed.

You might consider behavioral modification prior to having your dog desexed.  You would have to take your dog off your cat as soon as she mounts him.  You must then put her in a 'time out' which can be done by just putting her in a room by herself for 5 minutes or so.  Eventually she will get the idea; consistency is the most important feature of successful behavior modification.  

Since your cat is involved some of the other methods of behavioral modification, such as a squirt of water, or shaking a can of pennies, cannot be utilized because your cat will feel as if he is being scolded also.  Your veterinarian can suggest a good dog trainer who should be able to assist.  As a last resort your veterinarian can prescribe behavioral medication.

Hope this helps!