Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Gas in dogs

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Gas in dogs

What is the treatment for gas in dogs? My dog has had foul smelling gas for a couple of days and she is looking a little bloated. I feed my dogs grain-free high quality kibble mixed with a little meat and home cooked veggie stew (carrots, broccoli, celery, apples, yams, bell peppers, squash, etc.) Is this diet appropriate for them? Thanks for your help.
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
2+ yrs
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
Belgian sheepdog
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
October 30, 2010
Her diet sounds very good.

Excess gas production can be due to incomplete digestion of foods (any foods).  Your dog may require supplementation of digestive enzymes and probiotics in her diet.  

There are many choices for probiotics these days, such as Culturelle, or Align (capsules), or Activia or Greek yogurt.  Begin with a very low dose and gradually increase.  It should be given twice daily with food.  There are also many digestive enzymes, such as Wobenzym, Prozyme and even Beano (and many others).  As per the probiotic begin with a low dose and gradually work up.  An adult human dose is for a 75 pound dog and above.  If your dog weighs 50 to 75 pounds than use 3/4 of a human adult dose for both the probiotic and digestive enzyme.  If your dog weighs 25 to 50 pounds that use 1/2 human adult dose.  These are for the human products.  If a canine product is used please follow the dosing on the label.