Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Giardia or C-diff
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Giardia or C-diff

My 14 year old bengal cat, Kuanish, threw up a pinkish red liquid along with along with a 50mg metronidazole (Flagyl) pill, after I had just administered it to him :(

Should we continue treatment? What is the possible cause of this diarrhea? Is there any other treatment that wouldn't require forcing pills in his mouth?

Thanks so much for your help!
Type of Animal
:  
Cat
Age of Animal
:  
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Bengal
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
April 20, 2012
Blood Test Results
:  
About 2 years ago he was bitten by our other cat on the rear upper leg/stomach? area and developed a severe infection, for which he was prescribed liquid Clindamycin. This helped him recover from lethargy and his infection but resulted in severe watery, extremely foul smelling, diarrhea mostly outside of the litter box for several months. After a while we took him to the vet to get his stool checked, it came back positive for Giardia. Possible C-Diff from the Clindamycin, very common.
X-Ray Results
:  
We gave him 50 mg of metronidazole for for 2 weeks twice a day... feeding him canned rabbit mixed with pumpkin and one half of a crushed Spectra pro-biotic pill. He seemed to recover completely, gaining weight and normal formed stools :))

We continued giving him probiotics in his food for the next 3 weeks after treatment. Sadly, after we stopped, the diarrhea came back. Tried to give probiotics again, but to no avail. He continued to have foul smelling diarrhea with 50% litter box use, no blood in stool.
Other pertinent test results
:  
We decided to give him liquid Fenbendazole 1.8ml mixed with food daily to possibly get rid of a recurrent Giardia. Replaced his litter box, protected the carpets with plastic, isolated from other cat. No improvement after 1.5 weeks of treatment. Cat seems fine, is playful, eats, and sleeps in normal area, but looks thin, as usual, since the treatment with Clindamycin :(

This completes his history. Now we are trying to give him Metronidazole again. I gave him two pills so far for one day and this third day he threw it up with the pinkish throw up a little more red colored as he threw up more. He also threw up the pill along with this.
2054217_tn?1330542034
Giardia and C. difficile infections certainly can cause diarrhea and vomiting however they are not the most common causes. Metronidazole has been prescribed as a general anti-diarrhea medication however I would be concerned that your cat is vomiting as well. When I see older cats with GI signs I become concerned with IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) as well as unfortunately cancer. A series of radiographs and blood tests should be performed.
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...
Sep 04 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979