Animal Health - General Expert Forum
HELP

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

HELP
I TAKEN HER TO THE VET BECAUSE IT SEEM LIKE SHE WAS IN ALOT OF PAIN, HER BELLY WOULD TIGHTEN AND SHE WOULD START SHAKING AND YELPING, SHE DID THIS FOR ABOUT THREE DAYS ; THEN I TAKEN HER TO THE VET. SHE IS A VERY PASSIVE AND LOVEABLE DOG, MY BABY. I SAY NOW MY DOG HAS A BIG LOVING HEART. SHE WEIGH 11LBS. SHE ACTS LIKE HER NORMAL SELF NOW, SINCE SHE STARTED ON HER MEDS . SHE IS ON ENALAPRIL 5MG A HALF OF TABLET A DAY. THIS DON'T REALLY HAPPEN TO SMALL BREED DOGS DOES IT? I AM TALKING ABOUT AN ENLARGED HEART. SO HOW LONG DOES A DOG LIVE WITH THIS . SHOULD SHE BE ON ANY OTHER MEDS OR DIET IS THERE ANYTHING YOU CAN TELL ME THT WOULD HELP ME; PLEASE
An enlarged heart can be an indication of Congestive Heart Failure (CHF) or other primary or secondary heart problem.  Enalapril can help along with other heart meds and a low sodium diet.  ECG's and an Echo of the heart may also give you more information.  She will need to be followed every 6 months at least to check her progress.  

Do have a discussion with your veterinarian about diet as there is typically too much sodium in dog food diets and this can aggravate this condition.  

So what kind of dog food would be good for her? would boil or bake chicken or turkey be good for her mix with rice and carrot and peas with no salt at all. The dog that I had before her ; I feed him turkey breast, steak , chicken, then the vet back then said I had to mix other things, because he wasn't getting everything he needed. he lived to be 19 years old but that was not long enough for me, he died in my arms. His      name was mr. Bones I adpoted him at 6 months old I almost had him half of my life time. he had all his teeth removed but three he lived two years after that, I miss him so. i use to feed him biol chick and almost his whole; well i did and i had him to old ripe ade of 19, he was a mix dog corgie mix about thirty-five he ate to his very last day. so i really don't feed her no real dog food? And can you give me some other meds that thet might put her on.                            thank you
So what kind of dog food would be good for her? would boil or bake chicken or turkey be good for her mix with rice and carrot and peas with no salt at all. The dog that I had before her ; I feed him turkey breast, steak , chicken, then the vet back then said I had to mix other things, because he wasn't getting everything he needed. he lived to be 19 years old but that was not long enough for me, he died in my arms. His      name was mr. Bones I adpoted him at 6 months old I almost had him half of my life time. he hsd all his teeth removed but two. So i shouldn't be giving her no real dog and is chicken and turkey and rice ok and viggie no salt? And what else maybe would they put her on, i'm talking about meds,
                                             THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF HER BIG HEART
                                                        CHERRY & HER MOMMY