Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Hamster tumor

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Hamster tumor

My grey dwarf hamster has a tumor growing on his neck, tumor size ~5mm, weighs only 33g, lose appetite, no food in his pouch. Currently feeding with powder food from vet constantly, still bright and responding but weaker than b4.

Should I take him to the vet and have the tumor removed? Can he get thru this? Plz help...
Type of Animal
:  
Hamster
Age of Animal
:  
1yr8mths
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Grey Rodent,  Dwarf Hamster
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
January 04, 2011
City
:  
HK
Hello!  Are you in Hong Kong?   I know many vets there!

Surgical removal of the tumor and subsequent biopsy will be curative if the tumor is a benign tumor (the kind of tumor that does not spread).  If the tumor is malignant (spreads) it may have already spread to other organs and surgical removal will only have a beneficial effect for the short term, if any.  With surgical removal, there is always an anesthesia risk, of course.  

Surgical removal would be advised if the tumor is causing a mechanical problem by obstructing your hamster's neck.  For example, if the tumor is pressing on his trachea and esophagus causing an inability to eat or breath normally.  Then surgical removal is necessary for a good quality of life.  Just be advised that surgery and anesthesia are always a risk.