Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Hamster with open wound

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Hamster with open wound

Hi there,
I really hope you can help.
I have a male hamster that was given to me about 3-4 months ago, (I was told he was 2 years old), he is very sweet and never bites, his name is Peedy.
To make a long story short, Peedy has an open wound about the size of a nickel or a little bigger on his back left leg, on the under side.
I have taken him to the vet 3 times, once to emerg when the injury occured, once to have surgery to close the wound and a third time when two days after surgery the wound had reopened and become infected.
He is now on 2 different antibiotics and is living in a large rubbermaid bin with soft fabric bedding which I am changing daily BUT he won't stop licking the wound.
PLEASE PLEASE is there a way to get him to stop licking the leg? Can I make an E collar for a hamster?
He is eating and drinking and pooping and peeing, if the wound would just get a chance to heal I think he would be fine.
Thank you,
Sincerely for your help.
You could  bandage the leg using a chew proof bandage material called elasticon.

I would be a bit worried about making an E-collar for your hamster because he could easily choke or become strangled if is is not made properly.