Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Hamster with open wound
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Hamster with open wound

Hi there,
I really hope you can help.
I have a male hamster that was given to me about 3-4 months ago, (I was told he was 2 years old), he is very sweet and never bites, his name is Peedy.
To make a long story short, Peedy has an open wound about the size of a nickel or a little bigger on his back left leg, on the under side.
I have taken him to the vet 3 times, once to emerg when the injury occured, once to have surgery to close the wound and a third time when two days after surgery the wound had reopened and become infected.
He is now on 2 different antibiotics and is living in a large rubbermaid bin with soft fabric bedding which I am changing daily BUT he won't stop licking the wound.
PLEASE PLEASE is there a way to get him to stop licking the leg? Can I make an E collar for a hamster?
He is eating and drinking and pooping and peeing, if the wound would just get a chance to heal I think he would be fine.
Thank you,
Sincerely for your help.