Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Hamsters and Cats

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Hamsters and Cats

I have three cats and would like to get a hamster. If I got one, I would keep him in my bedroom (the door is always closed and the cats never are allowed in). Would the smell of the hamster upset the cats? Would the smell of the cats upset the hamster? Can I safely have a hamster in a house with cats?
Thanks!!!
There shouldn't be any problem.  Introduce the hamster to your cats under supervision, so that your cat's will understand that the hamster is supposed to be there, and is not an interloper.  This will also help if the hamster ever escapes.  

If your cats are currently allowed in your bedroom, or sleep in your bed, than your bedroom is not a good location for the hamster.  Keep your hamster in a location that will not displace your cats.
We have one cat and two hamsters.  We keep their cage in a room where the door is shut at night or when we are not home.  We have introduced our cat to the hamsters and I think he would love to get at them given the slightest chance.  When the door is open the cat becomes obsessed with the hamsters but when the door is closed he is fine (out of sight out of mind).  The hamsters completely ignore the cat.  We have never taken the chance (and never will) of letting the cat near the hamster when they are out of the cage.

Hope this helps.