Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Hard lump on cat's stomach

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Hard lump on cat's stomach

Hello, I've recently noticed a very hard lump on my cat's stomach after he had been in a fight with another cat. I thought it may have been a broken rib and so took him to the vet, where i was told what it was although i can't remember the exact name although i think it could be 'Neoplastic of the sturnum'. I was told that it usually would come gradually overtime although i haven't noticed it before and it's suddenly come up, due to the massive vets bill which i can't currently afford i've had to pospone it until i have the money - the vet said it isnt currently an emergency and so can wait. He showed me a book but said there wasn't much information on it, nor is there much on the internet. I was hoping that you could give me a bit of information or anything that it could be other than what i was told. Any information would be helpful. Thank you.
Has a fine needle aspirate been performed?  If so, could you post the actual diagnosis?

Neoplasm of the sternum, just means that there is a cancer at the location of the sternum.  It does not explain if it is cancer of the skin of the sternum or cancer of the cartilage or bone of the sternum.

The more information you can provide, the more help I can give you.  Thanks!
Well the lump is about the size of a bent knuckle and is very hard almost like bone, there is no movement and no squiginess to it at all. He doesn't seem too fussed about it and quite happy for people to have a feel, but if you pick him up in that area he gives a little moan.

The vet literally had a feel around then prescribed 'he has a Neoplasm of the sternum, it is very common among cats' then later he contradicted himself saying it was not common at all, which makes me think he was just trying to get money out of me. If i would have gone ahead with his prescripion then it would have cost £622.

Thanks for your help

No vet can diagnose neoplasia just by feeling it or looking at it. All suspicious masses need to be biopsied or fine needle aspirated to see specifically which types of cells are involved. If bone is involved, you will need x-rays to help diagnose it.

There are many different types of cancers (neoplasia), all with very different outcomes, some of which can be cured by surgery, others that cannot. Some are dangerous and spread to other body parts, while others just stay as benign lumps that do no harm. This is why we always need to find out the exact type of cells involved.

If this is really what your vet said I'd get a second opinion.