Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Hay Fever in Dogs

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Hay Fever in Dogs
We are in the high allergy season in the Southern California desert.  Just the past few days our 11 pound minature poodle has begun to "wheeze" and sneeze and cough.  Could it be an allergy?  If so, what can we do to help him.  He is still as active as normal, eats OK, drinks water as usual, and seems to maintain his usual schedule.  We just hate to think there could be something seriously wrong with him and we didn't do anything.
It could be allergies, an upper respiratory infection, bronchitis or pneumonia, asthma, heart disease, or heartworm disease, or even lung cancer.  

I don't mean to alarm you since it may just be allergies, but, your dog should be evaluated by a vet to get a definitive diagnosis.

Since he seems normal otherwise, you could try a short course of therapy with an antihistamine.  You could try giving your dog 12.5 mg's of  Benadryl - 2 or 3 times per day to see if it helps.

Unfortunately, not all dogs respond to antihistamines, and he would therefore require prescription medication from your vet, such as Termeril-P

I don't know how old your dog is but the more serious problems occur most frequently in older patients.