Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Help in taking care of my cat with UTD, crystals

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

I know this question has probably been asked to death, but any extra adviceI can get would be helpful. My male cat has been in and out of the vet's office this week due to a urinary infection and crystals. They did the cathether only once and have only kept him on iv for fluids, and monitor him. Has not been able to pee normally on his own, but if you estimulate the bladder, he is able to pee, so there isn't a total blockage. Actually vet said they didn't think he had a blockage at all anymore. Long story shor, I have spent about 1,500 dollars in his treatment, unfortunately I cannot afford it any longer. He was discharged today. He was able to pee a bit on his own, and we were advised to keep him on medical S/O and to watch him when he goes to the littler box. I know if he tries to pee several times and nothing comes out I should take him to the emergency clinic. However, assuming that this is just the worst case scenario, what recommendations can you give me that would help me take better care of him. I am giving him the prescription food, and trying to get more fluids into him, but anything addiotional would really help me.
I appreaciate your help in advance.
Tags: UTD, crystals
Type of Animal
:  
Cat
Age of Animal
:  
3 years
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
domestic Shorthair
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
September 01, 2011
City
:  
waterloo
State/Province
:  
on
Country
:  
canada
1. keep him on wet/canned S/O only. Give him 1/2 can or more per meal,  two to three times daily.   Do not give him dry food ever again.

2. Purchase a kitty water fountain which filters the water readily available to entice extra drinking.  Adequate hydration is the cornerstone for bladder and kidney health.  Give him additional bowls of clam juice, chicken or other broths, tuna or other fish juice to always keep him very well hydrated and drinking.  

3. Keep one for each cat in the household plus one additional litter box.  If you only have one cat than two litter boxes is sufficient.

4.Always use litter that he likes. Cats would rather hold in their urine indefinitely, or urinate in an inappropriate location than use a litter that they don't like.  If urine is held in the bladder longer than necessary crystals and bacteria may develop.

5.If interstitial or sterile nephritis is implicated ask your vet for Amitriptyline to give to your cat daily.

6. Eight Righteous is a Chinese medical formula that can help to prevent urinary tract infections and is also used for kidney health.  I use it often in my feline patients.  It is available online at Amazon.com and other locations.  1/4 of a human adult dose twice daily is a common dose for the average sized cat.
Thank you so much for your advice. I started right away yesterday by giving him a small bowl with dulited tuna juice, he seemed to love it and drank most of it. I haven't yet tracked Eight Righteous, but I did buy cranberry pills in the meantime, as I did see you recommended this in a previous post. Everything else will be taken care of during the weekend.
He seems to still be undecided about the canned food, though.
He is still straining to pee, but definitely much less. Still keeping a close eye on him to make sure that even if it's just small puddles, he is peeing. He also pooped a bit today, so I take that as a good sign. He has also been very bright and playful, so I am sincerely hoping he is on his way to a full recovery. I really do love my kitty.
again thank you so very, very much and many blessings.
He seems to be leaking no when laying down, I do not see any pee in the litterbox. Is this normal? I just finished with the asntispasmodic today.