Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Hip Dysplasia

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Hip Dysplasia
My family just got a Bernese Mountain dog puppy and our vet is worried she's showing early signs of hip dysplasia.  The next step is to do xrays and my vet said there's a surgery for puppies that can fix the problem before it sets.  Do you know anything about this procedure or it's success rate? Is it for the long term?  Do you know anything about costs (we haven't discussed this yet)?
There are several effective surgeries for hip dysplasia.  A veterinary orthopedic surgeon would make the determination for which surgery is best for your pet.  It is best to have the surgery performed when young to avoid secondary joint disease such as arthritis.  The outcomes are usually curative.  Success rates are very high at 80 to 90% if performed by an experienced surgeon and if there are no secondary issues, such as angular limb deformities or arthritis.  Cost depends on your area and in MA is can be up to $1500 to $3000 per side depending on which surgical option is best.  Surgeons usually discount the second side.