Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Hip weakness
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Hip weakness

I have a 14 year old shepherd that is experiecing extreme back leg weakness.  I have had lots of shepherds in my day and I know what hip dysplasia is.  He doesn't seem to be in pain but he falls down alot.  He also drops poop now and then.  I know something is pressing somewhere.  When he lays down, his right leg just randomly shoots out now and then.  I have some Rymadel(spg) from other dogs but I have always used it for pain.  Other than this problem, he is very healthy.  He can lope a little as long as he stays straight.  No turning.  I know he's getting senile but I refuse to put him down unless he is in pain.  He takes a little extra work on my part but that's ok.  I am not working right now and have 8 other dogs, 7 of which are strays.  I will find the money to get him to his vet if you can't give me any advice.  I know you can't diagnose him.  Thank you for your opinion!  blythe7007
Tags: weakness
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
German Shepherd
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
January 10, 2010
City
:  
Terrell
State/Province
:  
TX
Country
:  
USA