Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Horrible Sores All Over My Dog's Body

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Horrible Sores All Over My Dog's Body

Recently we noticed that my dog's fur was becoming matted down and stuck together.  At first I thought nothing of it (we have three other slobbery dogs and I assumed that they just drooled on her).  However, it became worse and the matted down areas became larger.  We took her to the vet and they shaved her back, revealing that her whole body was covered in large pus-filled sores.  They removed as much pus as they could, but the sores are still there.  The veterinarian couldn't identify what the sores were though, so they took blood and are still waiting for the results.  What's interesting though is that the sores don't seem to bother her.  She acts like herself and if you touch them, she doesn't flinch or anything.  The only thing they could determine was that it wasn't bacterial.

Here is a picture of her back: http://oi48.tinypic.com/1z3qqoo.jpg

I'm really worried; the sores look horrible and it seems to be progressing.  They're all over her body except for her head and I really don't know if they'll spread there too eventually.  Additionally, before we knew how bad it was, we all spent time with her and pet her and rubbed her stomach, etc.  I'm not only worried that it'll get worse for her, but that it'll spread to my family and/or my other dogs.  

Does anyone recognize these sores?  If so, is it contagious to humans or other dogs?  Is there any cure?

Thank you in advance for your help!  Please save my Leila :(.
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
6
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
German Shepherd/Border Collie mix
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
June 23, 2012
State/Province
:  
Country
:  
USA
Blood Test Results
:  
Still waiting for blood test results
X-Ray Results
:  
No X-rays taken
Other pertinent test results
:  
Leila (her name) was always a really fit and healthy dog until recently.  She got an autoimmune disease (which the vet was also unable to identify) that eats away at her red blood cells.  They gave her prednisone and some other medication which helped raise her red blood cell count back to a healthy level, but the medication has made her extremely hungry all the time, so she's gained a lot of weight.  Ever since then she's been sluggish, aggressive around food, and overweight.  I'm not sure if this skin issue is related or not.
This appears to be a deep seated staphylococcus infection and can be limited to just superficial infections or can become systemic and start to infect the blood. This has to be dealt with very aggressively. A culture of the discharge should be done to determine what type of antibiotic will best kill the bacteria, and in the meantime your dog should be on a strong oral antibiotic. Generally these infections are not transmittable to people as long as good cleaning practices occur.