Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Hycodan & Benadryl

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Hycodan & Benadryl
Hello.. last week my shar-pei had an allergic reaction to a insect bite and was put on antibiotics and childrens benadryl twice a day. Wednesday morning he broke his leg and has a cast and was given hycodan and I was reading on the internet tonight that it's not good to mix hycodan with benadryl .. should I be concerned? I'm going to stop the benadryl but he did take them together tonight. I'm just curious as to should I be overly concerned?
Your poor puppy!

Hycodan can depress the respiratory system.  The combination of Hycodan and Benadryl can increase that respiratory depression effect, but usually not severely unless the two medications are overdosed.  However, since your puppy is only 12 weeks old and his respiratory (and other systems) are immature, it is best to eliminate the benadryl.