Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Is it safe to have vaccinations and spay on the same day?

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

My dog is scheduled for her spay surgery on the 20th of April and my vet wants to do her boosters and rabies shot on the same day.  Is this safe or should I take her in earlier to have the shots done separately?

Thanks,
Lisa
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
18 months
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
Golden Retriever
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
August 05, 2008
Many veterinarians,  and vaccine manufacturers,  would say that it would be fine to give several vaccines on the same day as a spay, but the spay procedure is in itself a debilitating procedure as are all surgeries.  

I would not give more than one vaccine after a spay procedure (unless it is a stray cat in a spay, neuter, and release program). A single vaccine can be given once the patient wakes up from anesthesia.  But your veterinarian may differ with my suggestion.