Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Is there help for my little guy???

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Is there help for my little guy???

Dino, our darling little Min Pin, was a rescue almost 3 yrs ago. We are guessing he is approx 7-8 yrs old. He has been diagnosed with chronic bronchitis by our vet and a second opinion from another vet says he has bronchial disease with expiratory push, probable COPD. He has difficulty breathing and is wheezy on occassions. Sometimes he will cough and sneeze. Other times he breathes like he is pushing out a "second breath" behind his main breathing.
Dino has been treated in the past with temaril p and baytril. Another vet treated him with theophylline, hycodan and benadryl. All seem to work but after a few months he reverts back to the wheezing, etc. We did have very good results with the temaril p/baytril combo but my little guy is close to 15lbs now (and yes we do limit his food intake and he is walked several times a day). In the past he has been tested for so many things which have all turned up negative. In July 07 Dino was xrayed which showed a large liver, normal trachea and extensive peribronchial density. His CBC/Chem (on no steriods) showed normal and he was placed on dexamethasone 0.5mg 1/2 tab SID and furosemide 20 mg BID. He got better for a while but seems to be going back to the wheezing, etc..
I saw a post regarding a Jack Russell Terrier with COPD and yopu suggested a mix of mullein, senega and cordyceps tincture using 3-4 drops daily and adding 5 drops daily of aerobic oxygen to his water. Do you think this might help my little guy too? I have heard that australagus (not certain of the spelling) will help as well. Is there truth to that?
I am confused on how to treat this guy, we've seen 5 different vets all with a different cure and we've spent well over $5k on him. Im not ready to give up yet. Any suggestions on what to do/give him? Where do we go to find these herbs? We are in huntington Beach, CA
Thanks so much!
Tags: Health, dose
I am so sorry about your little guy!  
The holistic protocol you describe may be worthwhile.  Astragalus can be part of the protocol.  

There is a inhalant mask that may also be helpful, and works like the inhaler that humans with asthma use.  This would have to be supplied by your vet, along with the bronchodilator medication to be infused.  I would use whatever protocol that worked best in the past even if it has caused your dog to have a weight problem.  You should also consider putting him on a totally organic non-grain diet of just meat, vegetables and berries/fruits.  He should also be placed on a good probiotic supplement, colostrum and fish oil supplements.  Other importent herbs for Dino are Milk Thistle, burdock and dandelion, SAM-E, choline and inositol.  These herbs, and supplements will protect Dino's liver.  There are many forms for these supplements including tincture's, capsules, etc.  Any form is fine as long as the supplements are alcohol-free and the correct dose.  His dose should be 1/4 of a human adult dose.  The supplements are available on line, and at good health food stores, such as Whole Foods.  A good veterinary acupuncturist with herbal training may also be helpful.  Good Luck!