Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Kidney
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Kidney

I have a hound that was recently shot with buckshot - ( my husband uses our dogs during hunting season) -  this individual did not belong to my husbands hunt club, anyway - "Timeout" was shot in November  - initial diagnosis @ the vet that day was a broken leg - other injuries unknown - dog had 6 holes in his left hind leg!  Vet put a pin in leg and a couple days later I picked him up and brought him home.  3 days later - he stopped eating and on the 4th day stopped urinating - immediately took him to vet - Vet put in a cath- did labs- and IVs - @ that point we were told our dog was suffering from kindey failure due to trauma of the kidneys.  Vet kept Timeout on fluids, and started Azodyl - this went on for a week - HIs initial BUN levels were 185 - my understanding is normal levels are below 25 - since then I have been able to bring the dog home.  His appetite is wonderful - up to almost 70lbs, still on Azodyl, will check new levels next week - His last level a month ago was 51.  MY question is :  Is it possible for the kidneys to "repair" themselves or heal and his levels return to normal or is the possibility that my dog will be on this medication for the rest of his life?
Type of Animal
:  
Walker Hound
Age of Animal
:  
9 1/2
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Walker
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
January 11, 2010
City
:  
Petersburg
State/Province
:  
VA
Country
:  
US
Blood Test Results