Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Kitten with diarrhea

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Kitten with diarrhea

I got my kitten about a month and a half ago and when I first got her she had some abscess on her neck where I started to treat them myself and they seemed to be getting better.  About three weeks ago I took her to the vet because they weren't fully healed and she seemed to have a bit of a sneeze. He then decided to put her on some anti-biotic to treat the abscess as well as the small cold she had. While she was on the medication she started to have some softer stool but I didn't think to much of it since she was still eating, drinking a lot, and was VERY playful. Just over a week ago I was told to take her off the medication which I did. Yet over the last week her stool has gone from soft to almost watery, also she has been very gassy and tends to burp A LOT. I'm not sure if that is from the anti-biotic that are still in her system or am I over feeding her (I have an automatic feeder), or could it be something else. I took away her solid food and started giving her a little bit of chicken baby food (just chicken and chicken broth) and a tiny bit of yogurt incase of the anti-biotic has killed off good bacteria in her stomach. Is that the right thing to do? Please help. Thanks =]
Type of Animal
:  
Kitten
Age of Animal
:  
3 months
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
Siamese seal point
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
January 01, 2010
City
:  
Tempe
State/Province
:  
AZ
Country
:  
United States
You must have adopted your kitten when it was very young.  They can have a rough start when they leave their mother so young.  It sounds like your kitten did need antibiotics at the time but they may have caused a change in the bacteria populations in the intestinal tract leading to the diarrhea.  It is also possible the diarrhea is caused by parasites or her diet.  

If she has not had a fecal test done, you should bring a sample to your veterinarian and have them test for the common parasites as well as giardia and tritrichomonas.  You should have her examined as well as she can get very dehydrated when having diarrhea.  A kitten this young can become very ill from diarrhea.

Your veterinarian may want to treat for possible parasites, start a prescription veterinary diet that is good for intestinal problems, and start probiotics.  Yogurt may have some good bacteria but it may not be active or the kind a cat needs.

I hope she gets better soon.

Judy Karnia, DVM
Scottsdale Cat Clinic