Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Lab Issues

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Lab Issues

I recently started a new job where I had to cage my dog, while at work. He has always used a cage. He was caged for 6 to 7 hours a day off and on for a week. He began to become week and stiff so I left the cage open for him. He became progressively worse to the point of not being able to stand with his front legs, gate became wide, and stance became stiff with head lowered. He began to have facial and head tremors. He began to fall on his muzzle not being able to raze himself with rear still in the air. He never vomited or had diarrhea and remained alert. We took JJ to the vet on as soon as we saw symptoms becoming worse. We went to an appointment Monday as JJ became totally lame. We had to carry him there. Vet did the tests listed above and initial diagnoses was Lyme desease. She prescribed doxcyciline 100 mg, 3 pills, 2 times a day and previcox 227 mg once a day. He looked better after the visit on Monday but has defaulted to not being able to move at all and is experiencing facial and head trimors again. The Vet called today (Wendsday) and said JJ tested negative for Lyme desease but we are still waiting for the rest of the blood test results. He continues to be alert and still eats and drinks, he just can’t move his front legs. What could it possibly be?
Tags: Dog, lame, Gate
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
12 Years
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Chocalte Lab
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
March 19, 2012
City
:  
Huber Heights
State/Province
:  
Ohio
Country
:  
USA
Blood Test Results
:  
The vet still has to give us a full report yet.  They left a message today..."I wanted to let you know that we could get a little more and see if blood work back today is negative for lime disease so that is good we are still waiting more resolved."

So we are still waiting for a full report on his bloodwork.  They ordered a k9 tick profile w/ lyme.
X-Ray Results
:  
The vet took radiographs (2 views) w/ total body function. Negitive intestinal blockage, no skelital breaks or issues except for some small arthritis in middle of back on spine.
Other pertinent test results
:  
Anal temputure check 105
Stool sample negitive, no heartworm or ringworm.
Some benine fatty tumors.
Sorry to hear about JJ feeling sick, I understand what you are going through. You have described some pretty serious neurological symptoms and lyme disease was certainly a very good differential diagnosis. Keep me posted with respect to test results. Other possibilities include Addison's disease (a hormonal condition resulting in low cortisol levels), inflammatory conditions like meningitis, neurological and autoimmne conditions such as myasthenia gravis etc.
So there are a lot of possibilities, a referral may be in order and it sounds like you have a great veterinarian who is being very thorough. Be honest with him/her and feel comfortable asking for a second opinion or a referral. We all want what is best for JJ and I am sure they will be supportive.
Good luck.
Dr. Cliff Redford
Thanks Dr. Redford. The vet called today and started JJ on steroids. The Vet thinks its Spinal meningitis or a brain tumor. It is cost prohibitive for us to see a neurologous and have a spinal tap or MRI, so we shall see how the Steriods go. The only things in the blood work that came back high was Monocytes were high at 970, Neutrophils at 16296, and WBC at 19.4. My next question is how long should we wait before we consider euthanasia? My vet mentioned that we might see an improvement with the steriods but it probably wont last. Right now I am using a life vest that i bought for him a couple of years ago for a boating trip to transport him outside to use the bathroom. he ways 90 pounds and I know my wife cant do it. I have to hold him up all the way.