Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Licking herself

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Licking herself

My puppy named Pepsi is a Bull Mastiff and is 5 months old. She constantly licks herself down there to the point that she is red and raw around the area. Could she be in heat already or is there something else going on? She will stop when I tell her to stop, because it is annoying when she does it while lying close to us, but will start up again 15 minutes later. LOL I threatened her with diapers if keeps on doing it. Anyone know why she does this?
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
5 months, 2 weeks
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
Bull Mastiff
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
July 18, 2011
City
:  
Eagle River
State/Province
:  
Ontario
Country
:  
Canada
The urethra and the vulva are within very close proximity in the dog.  Therefore, an infection of the vagina or a urinary tract infection can have the same symptoms in the same area.  Additionally, the constant licking in that area can infect the skin.

Please take her to the vet.  Bring in a fresh urine sample so that your vet can determine if she has an urinary tract infection.  If no urinary tract infection is found your vet can take a vaginal swab and test for bacterial or fungal infections of the vagina.  Your vet can also examine the surrounding skin and give her something that will stop the discomfort in that area.

Puppy vaginitis and urinary tract infections are not uncommon.