Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Limping Dachshund

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Limping Dachshund

My family and I have a 7 year old Dachshund who had back sugery for a herniated disc back in April and who recovered amazingly well! But just yesterday he started limping. It doesn't seem to be his back and since we have limited most of his activity since the surgery it seems unlikely he herniated yet another disc. We are just so nervous! It seems to be his back left leg. Although he lifted it to pee this morning no problem. We've pressed, prodded and poked and he doesn't snap or seem uncomfortable (and he's a BIG baby). Any advice? Our vet isn't in till Monday should we just wait until then and see? We just don't want this is be a set back from his surgery! We are so afraid!
It seems like Dachshund don't have to do anything athletic to have back problems.  This is just due to their unfornunate (but cute) anatomy.  In your dog's case it could just be a soft tissue injury or Lyme or other tick borne disease.  However,  you must be extra cautious in your dogs case due to the the history of disc disease.  Your dog may only need a short course of steroids and muscle relaxers for soft tissue injuries, or in the case of Lyme a course of doxycycline.  Only a veterinarian can diagnose these problems and prescribe the appropriate medication.  You may also consider Acupuncture.  Acupuncture is very effective for disc disease whether you are human or Canine.  I would find an veterinary acupuncturist  and or chiropractor in your area and and get on a maintenance program for the life of your pet as a disc disease preventative.  The acupuncturist can also help with acute problems such as the current limping problem.  But, I must urge you that if the condition worsens please do not wait until Monday to see a veterinarian; you must visit an emergency vet in your area ASAP!