Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Limping
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Limping

Hello,

My dog, Tucker, has been keeping weight off of his right rear leg for almost a month now. At first we thought it was just a muscle strain so we waited a week or two before bringing him in. It didn't resolve on its own so we took him to his vet to have him checked out. She did a physical exam and X-rays of his back legs. She didn't feel anything abnormal and saw no broken bones or tears, but did see a bit of inflamation (inflammation) in his right rear knee. She told us to limit his activity for two weeks and she put him on painkillers for a week.

It is now two weeks later and nothing has changed. He has been on a tie out when outside so he doesn't run around the yard, we try to keep him calm indoors and I even stopped taking him on walks this last week in hopes of resting his leg. Yet he still won't put any weight on it and will hold it either off the ground, or rest it gingerly on the ground, or limp. He doesn't, nor ever had, any swelling and doesn't show any signs of pain if we touch it.

So what do we do? More X-rays? I know Bullmastiffs can have "growing pains", but Tucker has been growing at an extremely slow pace and is only 65 lbs at nine months. I never saw what caused his injury. Is this able to heal? Help!
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
9 months
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Bullmastiff
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
February 20, 2009