Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Liver dysfuction
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Liver dysfuction

Please help ASAP.
     i took my lola into the vet on Nov. 24th 2008. She was due for all her shots, and exam. 5 minutes after recieving her shots, she went in to antiflactic shock. She was put on IV and came back to life. We went home with medicine, and by 2 weeks later she was fine. until the first of Jan. She started vommitting every 8 to 9 days. Didnt think much of it, because we had moved and i thought it was stress, or she was getting into something. After 2 months of this, i took her in and coughed up the money to do blood work. It came back that she had a liver dysfuction. So after changing her food to a digestive senstive stomach formula, and 30 days of a liver supplement...she vommiting hasnt stopped. We are exactly 2 weeks into the medicine today. I dont know what to do?  Did giving her all of those shots at the same time mess up her liver? And not to forget, she lost 3 pounds from nov 08 to feb 09. Should i do a liver bio? or quit stressing about it?....Please Please help me.
Type of Animal
:  
dog
Age of Animal
:  
1 1/2
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
Minature schauzer
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
March 02, 2009
Related Discussions
234713_tn?1283530259
Unless she has a liver shunt, which is a surgical matter, or bacterial hepatitis, there is not that much that can be done for liver disease using traditional veterinary medicine.  The good thing is that the liver has excellent regenerative properties and should heal over time.  And yes, to answer your question,  it is best to give a small dog only one or two vaccines per office visit, and to perform vaccine titers whenever possible.

To help heal the liver,  your dog should continue to take liver supplementation.  She should be taking: Alpha Lipoic Acid, Sam-E, Choline and Inositol, Silymarin (Milk Thistle), Burdock Root and Dandelion leaf and root, a good probiotic, digestive enzymes, and should be eating sauted organic liver.  She should also be eating fresh ginger, which helps with nausea.  If she refuses fresh ginger, health food stores have ginger in capsules which should help.  Her dose for these supplements will probably be about 1/4 the human adult dose.

Medications can also be used for the nausea and vomiting, and include: Reglan, Cerenia and Pepcid.  She must continue eating even if you must change her diet often, and use appetite stimulants.  

If available in your area,  it might be a good idea if you also seek the advice of a vet who practices traditional,  and holistic, veterinary medicine.
Blank
This Forum's Experts
234713_tn?1283530259
Aleda M Cheng, D.V.M., C.V.ABlank
American Animal Hospital
Randolph, NJ
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity