Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Losing Fur

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Losing Fur

My pug Bandit has recently started losing his undercoat starting on his chest and stomach.  Could any of his medications be causing this.  He has only been taking them for the last 2 months.
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
12
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Pug
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
August 11, 2010
City
:  
Edmonds
State/Province
:  
WA
Country
:  
USA
Blood Test Results
:  
OK
X-Ray Results
:  
Some arthritis in leg joints
Other pertinent test results
:  
Medications
Novox
Tramadol
QVar
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello
I am sorry to hear about your dogs hair loss and glad to help.

Yes these pet medications may certainly be responsible for your dogs hair loss.

Novox is a name given to a generic variety of the drug Rimadyl which is called Carprofen in this case. Rimadyl is used for dog arthritis however Rimadyl also kills dogs and is very risky to use.

Rimadyl can work well for some dogs to help relieve arthritis pain, in other dogs Rimadyl can cause sudden death with no warning signs at all.

Rimadyl was initially developed for people however after several years of clinical trials in humans, many people suffered liver damage and the company then decided to label it for dogs instead of humans.

The first two years Rimadyl was prescribed for canines, thousands of dogs died or had to be put to sleep as a result of liver failure and other health problems. This resulted in a class action law suit, after which pet owners are to be advised of the pet health risks associated with using Rimadyl. The Rimadyl label also indicated that severe adverse reactions such as these may occur.

Tramidol is another very strong pain medication often prescribed to relieve dog arthritis pain.

QVAR is actually a steroid pet medication called Beclomethasone used as an oral inhalation product to treat and prevent a variety of breathing issues in dogs and cats including wheezing, shortness of breath, and other asthma like pet conditions.

Beclomethasone is in a class of veterinary medications called corticosteroids which carry many adverse side effects from weight gain to liver and kidney disease and Cushings Disease.

You may want to consider having a complete set of blood tests taken to determined the internal health status of your dog and make medication adjustments accordingly.

There are many natural pet vitamin supplements available which in my experience as a veterinarian for many years are effective to relieve canine arthritis pain and are safe with no adverse health effects at all.

If I can help further feel free to contact our veterinary office.

I hope this information is helpful

Best Wishes

Dr Carol Osborne, DVM