Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Lower Jaw in Yorkie?

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Lower Jaw in Yorkie?

I have a Yorkie which is the LOVE of my and my wife's life..  We adopted him about 4 years ago.
He has virtually no lower jaw and his tongue hangs out all the time.   We have two other dogs as
well.  We have noticed over the past couple of weeks that he has been coughing alot more than
normal and rattles when he sleeps.  Yesterday when my wife got home from work she discovered
blood everywhere in our living room, in the Yorkie's bed and all around.  It appeared to have come
from him.  He would not eat, but did attempt to drink alot.  Today she took him to a vet, he said that
he has a upper resp. problem and gave her to meds for him to take and stated that he is getting
old around 15 years.   And his bottom jaw is not in good shaped, but the blood appeared to have
come from his mouth.  Could it have been from his mouth or the resp condition?  Or did one of
the other dogs bite him or his tongue?  The vet gave her some very soft food to feed to him in
a syringe and stated that if he was not eating by next week, we needed to think about putting him
down!   Is there anything we can to to make his life better?  Or should we consider the ultimate?
It may be possible that the blood is from a traumatic injury, such as a bite from another dog, or if your yorkie accidentally smashed his own nose on something, or bit his own tongue.

However, if the vet believes that the blood is coming from his nose, and the vet does not believe that the blood is from a traumatic injury,  than the cause of the blood is either from a bleeding disorder, an infection secondary to a foreign body getting lodged up the nose,  or, it may be secondary to cancer, and more.  Additional diagnostic precedures would be necessary to determine the actual cause.

A bad upper respiratory infection can cause your dog not to be interested in eating, and at 15 years of age there may also be age related changes in your dogs lungs and heart.  

Before considering the ultimate,  I would give the medications a chance to work and I would consider further diagnostics, such as skull, dental, nose and chest X-Rays, and blood work, and most importantly, I would treat the treatable.  Even if there was cancer, some cancers are extremely slow growing and may not interfere with good quality of life.