Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Lump/bubble on inside of ear

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Lump/bubble on inside of ear

I have a Male Boxer a little over a year old, for about week now he has had this lump/bubble on the inside of his ear, he hasn't been itching it or anything and I touched it to see if it would be painful for him and its almost as if he didn't know I touched it, its red on the top and about the size of a lemonhead or gobstopper (prolly stans up about 1/4" from ear and is prolly about a 1/4" in diameter) I can send a picture of it if needed. Does anyone know what it could be?
It could be a aural hematoma.  If your dog hit his ear or has been shaking his head he can break the delicate capillaries in the flap or pinna of the ear and the ear flap can form a bubble containing blood.  

The aural hematoma should be treated by a vet to prevent the pinna from fibrosing (becoming stiff and losing it's shape).

There is a possibility that it is caused by an ear infection.  Ear infections may not be apparent to you as the owner because they may occur deep in the ear canal, which is not visible to the eye.

You can post a photo in another post if you would like.