Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Lump in my 5 year old cat

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Lump in my 5 year old cat

I have three cats.  I do not know a lot about their history as they were dropped off in a box and left in our neighbourhood.  The mom cat is approx. 7 years old and her babies, both boys, are 5 years old.  They have always been outdoor cats (it took me six months to get them to trust me enough to come into the house).  Obi, one of the babies, is a hunter and has recently had tape worm, which was taken care of by the medication the vet prescribed.  However, last night I felt a hard lump between his hind legs (it felt long) under his belly.  Obi didn't squirm away when touched but I am concerned about it and was wondering if this lump could be a constipation from the medication for the tapeworm?  I hate to take him to the vet as he is completely terrified of the cat carrier so if I can avoid the carrier I will but if you think that he should be seen by a vet I will bring him asap.  Obi is fine, he eats, he plays, he picks on his brother and still climbs trees.  He does not like the kitty litter box and he insists on going outside and this is also why I think it might be constipation as we are covered in snow and he is unable to go far.  Any advice would be helpful and greatly appreciated.  All the best. Kim
I really don't think that you would be able to feel a lump from constipation on the belly.  The colon (which holds the fecal matter prior to defecating) is inside the abdomen closer to the spine than to the belly.   He could be constipated coincidentally, from a variety of reasons, though.  The most common cause of constipation is from dehydration usually secondary to a all dry cat food diet and not enough fluid intake.  If he is doing well in every other way than it may not be imperative to bring him to the vet immediately but please take him soon, because if it is a blockage either from  constipation or from his urinary bladder the problems can worsen unexpectedly and become emergencies.