Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Lung Cancer in 8 year old Lab...help

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Lung Cancer in 8 year old Lab...help

My 8 year old Labrador started feeling sluggish a few months ago.  Our vet discovered a mass in her abdomen in the general area of her spleen.  An ultrasound concluded it wasn't attached to any organs.  We decided to remove the "mystery mass" and took chest xrays as part of pre-op.  Xrays show her left lung had a large mass on it.  

We went to University of Florida Small Animal Hospital for CT scans and aspirates.  Aspirates of lung, "mystery mass" and a small mammary tumor were inconclusive.  We opted to remove the "mystery mass" and mammary tumo, both were negative for cancer cells.  The "mystery mass" turned out to be 2 1/2 surgical sponges left behind when she was spayed 3 years ago prior by another vet!!!  The body walled off the sponges & created a 5" diameter mass of gunk.  Our Lab recovered beautifully from the surgery.

Six weeks have passed since the surgery...four days ago our Lab started acting uninterested in food and slightly lethargic.   Another set of xrays show the left lung mass has grown substantially and is pushing her heart high into her chest.   Obvioulsy,,.the lung  mass is cancer.  I know the prognosis isn't good...but she still acts happy and seems to be pain free.  She is having fluid retention in her belly, tho'.

I'm looking for direction...homeopathic meds...herbs...hope.

We feed Precise Holistic Complete...but are switching to Precise Grain Free.  She gets Grizzly Salmon Oil, vitamin C, pumpkin, apples and green beans daily.  I am returning Dr. Bussan's Vet-Zyme Plus powder to her diet.  Our vet has prescribed Prednisone and Furosemide.  

I have read about Essiac Tea/Capsules and feeding a flax seed oil/cottage cheese supplement daily.  Thoughts?

We live in a rural area, don't use pesticides, are a smoke-free home, feed premium food and add fresh fruits and vegetables daily.   What are the chances my 8 year old Lab developes lung cancer?  Could the cancer be a result of living with a foreign substance in her belly for three years?
Tags: Lung Cancer, labrador, surgical materials left behind
Type of Animal
:  
Canine
Age of Animal
:  
8 years
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
Labrador Retriever
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
September 12, 2012
State/Province
:  
Florida
Blood Test Results
:  
perfect
X-Ray Results
:  
left lung mass
Sorry to hear about this...it is very sad when you place your trust in someone and they let you down.
Regarding the question about the sponges causing cancer...it is highly unlikely. It is theoretically possible that the foreign body has weakened the immune system and therefore increased the risk of cancer but that is not likely.
As far as treatment of the lung mass is concerned, you are welcome to try Essiac tea however the industry has tried to show proof that it works and simply put, it does not. I would make sure that your dogs immune system is top notch. Feed a great diet and avoid "junk food". Your vet will have access to an herbal supplement that will help strengthen the immune system also. You need to remain giving the prednisone and the furosemide also. Both of these drugs will reduce the speed at which the tumour grows and will help with the fluid in the abdomen. At this point the goal is to maximize quality of life.
Thank you, Dr. Redford, for your response.

I spoke with both of our vets (homeopathic and traditional) and have put our Miko on several supplements (coconut oil, Mangosteen juice, Omega 3's, GLA's and the Essiac tea).  She already takes Vitamin C daily...along with apples and pumpkin puree.

Of course, she'll stay on the prednisone and furosemide.

I just read Dr. Dremian Dressler's, "The Dog Cancer Survival Guide."  I like his idea for positive thoughts, meditation, massage and supplement information.  I don't think I will implement his diet tho' as it contains rice and oatmeal.  He also has opinions on inflammation causing cancers that I find interesting.

Thank you again for your input...all is helpful and appreciated during this time.

Tina & Miko