Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Lymphoma or was Vet wrong?
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Lymphoma or was Vet wrong?

I took my dog (actually my boyfriend's dog) to the vet on Friday for a few reasons:
Extremely bad breath
Red gums with ulcers and tartar on teeth
Swollen lymph nodes in the neck
Coughing
Decreased appetite
Licked bones but refused to chew them
Whimpering when he stands up
And a couple non-symptom things such as new license, heartworm check and meds, flea prevention meds.

Rufus has had a few skin infections over the last year and I think I may have messed up and not noticed the problems with his mouth.  I figured that maybe he had a tooth infection that spread.

While at the vet, Rufus cried out when he stood as we got called.  He'd been whimpering but never cried out that loud, so I don't know if that was bad pain or he was scared due to being at the vet.  The vet came into the room and he immediately complained that his lunch was interrupted.  I told him about the swollen lymph nodes and the whimpering when he tried to stand.  The vet check the other lymph nodes around his front and rear legs and said those were swollen, too.  He said from the symptoms it sounded like it was lymphoma, gave him a shot of cortisone, took a blood sample and told me he'd call me with the results today.  Then he sent us off and I assume he ran off to lunch.

He didn't even give me a chance to tell him the other symptoms and I was too in shock about the idea of lymphoma to remember.  Now that I've had a chance to think, I realized he didn't even give Rufus a full exam.

Today, he called with the results of the blood sample and said everything came back normal, but it didn't mean that he doesn't have lymphoma.  He wants to do a biopsy and my poor boyfriend convinced that his dog is going to die of lymphoma.  But I think he may have made a mistake in his rush to get to lunch.  Could this be an infection due to the issues with his mouth?  Is it periodontal disease?  Or is it likely the vet is right?
Type of Animal
:  
Dog - Golden Retriever
Age of Animal
:  
7 years
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Golden Retriever/Chow Chow Mix
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
April 10, 2009