Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Marble like lumps in the lower part of the neck

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

My dog has these lumps in the lower part of her neck, she has been to the vet twice and put on antibiotics twice and there still there she has 1 week left of the antibiotics and then the Dr said to cut them out, I am scared to have them cut because if it is cancer I am worried it will spread like wildfire ....do you think it could be anything else any ideas what it could be , she is healthy and shows no sign of anything else wrong....
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
5
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
Pom/Chi
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
October 05, 2010
City
:  
Sorrento
State/Province
:  
Fl
Country
:  
Lake
Blood Test Results
:  
Normal
If these are dermal masses (masses under the skin) the surgery should be relatively safe since your vet would not be entering into your dog's body cavities.  

The masses could than be biopsied to find out definitely if they are benign or malignant.  Many cancerous growths are locally invasive, i.e.: they only grow in one spot and don't metastasize.  Additionally, a margin check of the area surrounding the growth can determine if your vet was able to get all of the growth.

Your dog is still young so as long as preanesthetic blood work and other tests are performed prior to the surgery it should be fairly safe.  Some masses can be surgically removed with just a local anesthetic, if your dog is calm enough, which would not involve the anesthetic concern.  

Alternately, a single mass could possibly be excised using a local anesthetic and submitted for biopsy.  Once you and your vet have the biopsy result a decision could be made about removing the other masses depending on the result.