Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Mast cells in lymph nodes,after 7 Chemo treatments

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

My 7 year old Chihuahua girl Babe ,was diagnosed with Mast Cell cancer ,it was removed from her hind end area and had 7 chemo treatments to follow.I was giving her a belly rub and discovered a pretty big lump ,took her to my vet and he said she had the Mast cell cancer in her Lymph nodes now,after a biopsy.He referred me to an Oncologist and am awaiting his call. But i wanted to know if there is anything more i can do,and does she have much of a chance,have my options run out ? Do i just make the best of the few months she has left? Or is there some new drug that will help prolong her life,that dont have any harsh consaquenses. Thanks Steve
Type of Animal
:  
Canine
Age of Animal
:  
7 yrs
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
Chihuahua
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
May 05, 2010
City
:  
Roseburg
State/Province
:  
Oregon
Country
:  
USA
Blood Test Results
:  
Mast Cell Tumor
X-Ray Results
:  
inconclusive
Other pertinent test results
:  
Removed from skin ,reappeared in lympe nodes after 7 chemo treatments biopsy ed and mast cells in lymph nodes
What needs to be done depends on the grade of the MCT. Grade 1 and 2 can behave in quite a benign manner. Grade 3 on the other hand can be quite malignant.

Since it was in her lymph nodes and she has had chemotherapy, I surmise it was of a higher Grade, perhaps a 3 or a 2 with a high mitotic index. If so, the oncologist is best suited to help you as to what to do next. If the dog is not clinically sick, you should focus on maintaining the apparently high quality of life she has now.

OI could not comment on her life expectancy as I am not familiar with the details of her case.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out!

Dr G